DENTAL X-RAYS ARE AN important part of your oral health care. They allow us to detect and diagnose problems that are not visible clinically. We take them only when we are given permission and only when you are due for them.
However, old-fashioned, analog x-rays are not ideal for our patients, our dental office, OR our environment.
The Hazards of Traditional X-Rays
The development of old film x-rays required hazardous materials. For example:
- Silver: X-ray fixer has enough silver to warrant a “hazardous waste” label, and can’t legally be dumped into the water system.
- Lead: Lead is a dangerous neurotoxin. Discarded, it sits in the topsoil for years, is absorbed into plants, and enters our food system.
- Other Dangerous Chemicals: These include Ammonium Thiocyanate and Anhydride, both major irritants to eyes, nose, and respiration.
Here Is Why We Use Digital X-Rays
First, digital x-rays eliminate the need for those harmful materials. But beyond that, digital x-rays are safer and more convenient for YOU!
- Digital x-rays cause 70-90% less radiation exposure than traditional x-rays.
- We get images with higher resolution, which we can zoom in on, enhance, and duplicate. They are stored in our computers and years from now they will not fade like the old fashion processing solutions allowed.
- Because Digital images are instantly available—we can just pop them up on the screen right away to discuss them with you, which saves you time.
- Lastly, we can email them easily to anyone within minutes.
Our office switched to digital x-rays several years ago. The entire staff finds it one of the best technology advances we have ever incorporated into the practice. It is a great way to educate and show patients on the computer screens that are installed in every treatment room.
Our Practice Is All About Looking To The Future
By using the best technology, we’re also giving you the best care WITHOUT making the environment pay the price. We’re working toward becoming a very eco-friendly practice.
And if you have any questions about our digital x-rays, please ask! We’re happy to talk about the steps we’re taking in our office to go green.